Sydney offers many comfortable and relatively cheap types of accommodation. Younger students usually live with a homestay family, and older students often live in share accommodation or a small studio apartment. Sydney boasts many large old victorian terraces which have a garden, as well as modern houses with apartments.

A typical Sydney terrace house

Under Australian law all students on student visas under the age of 18 must live in a homestay approved by the college.

A homestay is where international students stay with a local family during the course of their studies. This is an excellent opportunity to improve English skills if required, get to see life in an Australian family and learn more about the Australian way of life and culture.

Students will be welcomed as a member of the family and do things the whole family does, often including your own washing and cleaning! You can choose to have all your meals with the family or opt to buy your own food, in which the price would be different. The average price per week varies depending on which part of Australia you are in, but in Sydney for example the price might be as follows:

Breakfast and dinner provided Monday to Friday, all meals at the weekend from AUD$220 to AUD$240 per week.

There is also a homestay placement fee of approximately AUD$150.

Metro College staff do random homestay visits to ensure students are in suitable supervised accommodation.

Contact Student Services about booking a homestay:
PHONE: 1300 422 422
FAX: +61 2 9310 1548

Metro English College (with its parent company, Group Colleges Australia (GCA) has an agreement with the Australian Homestay Network (AHN) that is commended by the Australian government for providing homestay (living in a private Australian household) that UBSS students have access to. Students over the age of 18 can live in share accommodation or rent a house or apartment by themselves.

Other Options

Probably the most popular option for students is to rent a house or room in a house. This offers you freedom to come and go as you please, cook your own meals and live as you want to without having to abide by anybody else's rules. One of the best ways to save money is to rent a house with other friends who are also students or backpackers, which is called a share house. You can then share the bills and cleaning costs with your house-mates and if necessary put money together to buy furniture.

There are many ways of finding share accommodation, from national newspapers to noticeboards in backpackers and international colleges around Australia. You can rent houses, apartments or townhouses and rooms from a real estate agent or private owners, many of whom advertise in the national newspapers. Usually you will need to sign a lease or at least pay a bond of between approximately $100 to $500, as well as the first 4 weeks' rent. A bond covers any breakages or damage to property and will be returned to you when you vacate the property, providing it has remained in good condition. These properties might be furnished or unfurnished.

The internet is a great source for finding accommodation. Check out these popular sites: